Keeping your Pets Cool Outside during the Hot Summer Months
By: Annie Malone
It can get incredibly hot in the summer months and if you have an outside dog or other animal, it is essential to make sure you are taking the proper precautions to keep your pet safe. Here are some tips to provide some comfort to your animal during these record high temperatures:
- Make sure you have a shaded area somewhere you in your backyard for your pet to have some relief from the hot sun.
- You will need plenty of water outside and it should be placed in a shaded area. If possible, you need to be able to refill it during the day to provide cool water for them.
- You may want to consider shaving their coat for the summer. This may help cool your animal off, but remember, they can get sunburnt too. The best way to avoid sunburn is to keep about ¼ inch of hair on your animal and keep them out of the sun for the first week after their new haircut.
- Consider placing a kiddie pool in your yard with an inch or two of water for them to cool off in. If your dog loves the water, this makes for an easy and effective option. The water will heat up in the pool too, so keep it shaded and empty and refill it as much as possible.
- A product called the Canine Cooler is also an option for keeping your pets cooled off. It is designed to offer a cool area for your animal to lay on and provide cushioning comfort for skin, body and joints. It is for indoor or outdoor use and all you have to do is fill it with water.
I hope a few of these suggestions will help you keep your animal comfortable though these hot summer months. It is important not to forget that they get overheated during the summer just like we do if we are outside for extended periods of time.
Do you have an outdoor pet? How do you keep your animal comfortable outside? Share any other great tips that you use for your animals during this time of year.
Adams Homes is one of the largest privately-held new home builders in the southeast. Adams Homes has built more than 35,000 new homes since 1991 and builds in seven states including Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee in more than 100 communities.
Discover all Adams Homes communities, model homes and homes for sale anytime on our website, https://www.adamshomes.com/. While you’re there, explore our mortgage calculator and obtain financing information.