Halloween is an exciting time for kids of all ages, but too many times things can go wrong. So here are some of the top Trick-or-Treat safety tips for parents. Let’s keep our kids safe this Halloween, by following some these simple yet effective guidelines from www.safekids.org.
Street Safety Tips
- Cross the street at the corners, using the traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Look left, right and then left again before crossing. Keep looking as you cross.
- Put down the electronic devices. Keep your head up and walk, don’t run when crossing the street.
- Teach your children to make eye contact with a driver before crossing in front of them.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to
the left as possible. Children should walk on direct routes with the fewest street crossings.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, they should stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
Costume Safety Tips
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors.
- Choose face paint and makeup whenever possible instead of masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- When selecting a costume, make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
Driver Safety Tips
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Eliminate any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Drive slowly, anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic and turn your headlights on earlier in the day to spot children from greater distances.
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. so be especially alert for kids during those hours.
Adams Homes hopes everyone has a safety and SPOOK-tacular Halloween! Happy Haunting!
Read our article “Halloween Safety Tips for Pet Parents”.
Read our article “Planning a Halloween Block Party”.
Read our article “You’ve been BOO-ed”.
Read our article “Fun Halloween Pumpkin Projects”.
Read our article “Fall decorating ideas”.
Read our article “Thanksgiving Tablescape”.
About Adams Homes
Founded in 1991, Adams Homes is known as the premier home builder and is one of the largest privately-held home building companies in the southeast. Adams Homes has built more than 35,000 new homes since 1991 and builds in seven states including new homes for sale in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee with corporate headquarters in Gulf Breeze, Florida.
Discover all Adams Homes’ communities, model homes and homes for sale on our website, www.AdamsHomes.com. We have new homes for sale perfect for the first-time buyer, move-up home buyer, who desires to upgrade to a more accommodating new home, and the empty nester who desires to downsize to a smaller home.
While you're at our website, explore our mortgage calculator and obtain financing information.
Connect with Adams Homes online on at http://www.AdamsHomes.com, on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google +