Written By: Elizabeth Porter
Your home will operate best when properly maintained. Season changes are the perfect reminder to do some homeowner maintenance and protect your investment. With cooler temperatures on their way, now is the perfect time to give your home a seasonal tune-up.
Get started with these five maintenance recommendations.
Heating And Air Conditioning System:
- Perform a seasonal check-up by checking that all vents and return air locations are sealed properly.
- Filters should be changed monthly. Now is a good time to stock up on your filter supply for the rest of the year.
- Adjust cooling times needed based on weather changes. You may be able to run your system less now that summer has ended.
- Check drain lines for algae build-up or blockages. About a half-cup of bleach can be poured in the drain line monthly to keep it clear
- With all this rain over the summer, check the condition of your outside units. Be sure no irrigation heads are spraying on the units and trim back any bushes that may be near the unit.
- Check all areas originally caulked by the builder, especially windows and doors. Caulking is one of the most critical maintenance actions a homeowner can perform.
- For stucco homes, check for any hairline cracks along the exterior, paying special attention around windows. Use an exterior caulk and follow with paint to seal the area.
- Before it gets too cold outside, a roof inspection is a recommended
- From the ground, walk the perimeter of the home and look for any shingles that may have lifted and also look for gaps in the flashing.
- Check and clean gutters and downspouts, if installed
- The upcoming holidays means lots of cooking and extra lighting inside and out. Be sure fire extinguishers are fully charged, easily accessible and that everyone in the house knows how to properly use them.
- Locate the main water line shut-off valve and each of the shut-off valves for the individual plumbing fixtures inside the home. Show your family members how to close the valves in case of a plumbing emergency.
Check out these other related articles:
About Adams Homes:
Founded in 1991, Adams Homes is known as the premier home builder and is one of the largest privately-held home building companies in the southeast. Adams Homes has built more than 40,000 new homes since 1991 and builds in seven states including new homes for sale in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee with corporate headquarters in Gulf Breeze, Florida.
Discover all Adams Homes’ communities, model homes, and homes for sale on our website, www.AdamsHomes.com. We have new homes for sale perfect for the first-time buyer, move-up home buyer, who desires to upgrade to a more accommodating new home, and the empty nester who desires to downsize to a smaller home.
While you’re at our website, explore our mortgage calculator and obtain financing information.
Connect With Adams Homes: