Written by: Mike Laquerre
Congrats! You purchased your first brand new home. Now what? Once the dust settles from hosting your house-warming party and making your mortgage payments, you should make home maintenance a part of your normal routine.
Here are some things to think about as you enjoy the perks of a new home:
- HVAC Filters – The AC filter helps reduce the flow of dust into the air. You should change your filter every 30 days to ensure your HVAC system is heating and cooling properly, not to mention, efficiently. This will save energy, which in turn, will also make a bigger impact on your wallet.
- Exterior Caulking will eventually shrink, separate, and deteriorate. This will cause the caulking to pull away from surfaces and create areas for water and air to infiltrate. As a homeowner, you should monitor this on a regular basis so that moisture cannot work its way behind the surface. Also, pay close attention to doors and windows. You will want to re-caulk using a paint-friendly product.
- Ceramic tile walls in your bathrooms are easy to maintain and, if properly maintained, will be impervious to water. The seams, joints, and sealers are not waterproof and require proper maintenance to prevent water seepage and damage to materials adjacent to and underneath the tile. As a homeowner, you should take the time to periodically inspect and address these issues. Your home is also your investment.
- Clean your dryer vent regularly. Note the dryer vent is not the lint trap (which should be cleaned often, too). Dryer vents push air outside the property through a duct, but can get filled with lint. Clogged dryer vents can be a fire hazard.
- Have a pest-control expert inspect your home, even if you don’t suspect signs of infestation, since attic and crawlspace critters are usually unwanted guests on your property.
These are but a few of the regular maintenance items you should look into as a new homeowner. Regular maintenance can help preserve your home’s value for many years to come and avoid long-term damage.
Check out these other related articles:
About Adams Homes:
Founded in 1991, Adams Homes is known as the premier home builder and is one of the largest privately-held home building companies in the southeast. Adams Homes has built more than 40,000 new homes since 1991 and builds in seven states including new homes for sale in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee with corporate headquarters in Gulf Breeze, Florida.
Discover all Adams Homes’ communities, model homes and homes for sale on our website, www.AdamsHomes.com. Additionally, we have new homes for sale perfect for the first-time buyer, move-up home buyer, who desires to upgrade to a more accommodating new home, and the empty nester who desires to downsize to a smaller home.
While you’re at our website, explore our mortgage calculator and obtain financing information.
Connect with Adams Homes: